Don't be put off by the word "deconstructed." I know that stir fries are fast. But this one takes the idea of a stir fry and breaks it down and reassembles it. I think I made this in about a half an hour, including the time it took for the water to boil and for me to chop the veggies. In fact, it happened so fast, the table wasn't even set by the time dinner was ready, which was okay. This dish tastes good hot, cold, and at room temperature. It doesn't really matter. The kids loved this. Score! This comes together quickly if you follow the directions and carefully plan out the order in which you complete these tasks. Half of successful cooking is thinking things through and planning properly. This recipe started out as a Cold Soba Noodle Salad from Whole Living but then pretty quickly took a turn toward something else once I realized I didn't have a cucumber (ixnay on the salad) and that I wanted the veggies steamed.
- 6 ounces soba noodles
- 8 ounce boneless chicken breast, preferably organic, cut into chunks
- Two sweet bell peppers, seeds and stems removed, sliced lengthwise
- 4-6 ounces of yellow (or green) beans, stems removed and sliced in half
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 2 T. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped Instructions
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, add the soba noodles and cook until al dente (about 4 minutes.)
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, cut the chicken into small chunks and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 T. of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook until the chicken is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- As the chicken cooks and the water boils, chop up your veggies and place them in a steamer basket that will fit over your pot of boiling water. Whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette (sesame oil through rice wine vinegar) in a large bowl.
- When the noodles are finished, transfer them with a spider or spoon to the bowl with the viniagrette. Place the steamer insert over your pot, put the lid on it, and steam the veggies for 3-4 minutes until they have brightened in color and are crisp tender.
- Toss the noodles in the vinaigrette, which will prevent them from sticking and distribute the flavor quickly. Add the chicken, veggies, and chopped cilantro. Serve with wedges of lime, if desired.